Thursday, September 10, 2009

Mirror Worlds and Virtual Worlds

I've only had one class so far this year in Digital Virtual Environments, but I can already tell it's going to be my favourite. I'm lucky enough to have Gemini winner, Richard Lachman teaching the course. Lachman is known for the online work he did surrounding Discovery Channel's Race to Mars.

We've had an intro to Mirror Worlds which basically amounts to modeling of the real world online like Google Maps and Earth. I will need to create a multi-media project that ties in as a story to Google Earth. I'm waiting for the light bulb to go off on this one.

We've also talked about the Virtual Worlds which entails self-contained environments and fictional creations such as those in Massively Multi-player Online Role-Playing Games. I'm familiar only as a bystander in MMORPGs. My 9-year old son plays Runescape. One of his avatars is a female. It's an annonymous way of trying on a completely different identity. One character asked him, "What's happening, hot chick?" I think I'm going to learn some things from watching my son. Eventually in the class I will need to create an avatar of my own in the online game, Second Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment